Join Our Mission
We could not do the work we do without the generous and tireless support of volunteers. If you are interested in space, this is the place to be. We provide meaningful work for our volunteers that contribute directly to supporting our mission: to advance space-related endeavors to inspire, enable and propel humanity.
Click here to meet some of the many outstanding volunteers who help support our mission.
We offer both long-term and short-term volunteer opportunities assisting our education, operations, development, communications and marketing teams either at Space Foundation world headquarters, our Washington, D.C., office or at the annual Space Symposium.
Space Foundation Discovery Center Opportunities
Currently recruiting for Friday, Saturday and evening volunteer coverage.
The Space Foundation Discovery Center is comprised of the Northrop Grumman Science Center, which includes Science On a Sphere®; the Lockheed Martin Space Education Center, which includes the AGI Space Missions Simulation Laboratory and the Mars Robotics Laboratory; and the El Pomar Space Gallery, which features space artifacts and exhibits.
There are different types of volunteer positions available:
- Docent - Answer questions, present on the Science On a Sphere and support the Mars Robotics Laboratory.
- Event Support - Assist our event team with event setup, teardown and other event logistics.
- Groups Support with Student Tours and Events - Support the educators with the student groups, field trips that come through as well as with group events held in the Discovery Center.
- Collections and Accessions of Artifacts - Support the Curator with the work that goes into our collections, artifacts and exhibits.
- SpaceMakers - This opportunity gives you a chance to come create, tinker, and build with a group of creative space enthusiasts. See the SpaceMaker schedule here.
Discovery Center volunteers may work as little as 2 four-hour shifts per month or a much as five days a week. Shifts are flexible and we'll work with your schedule. Onsite and online training is provided.
Space Symposium Opportunities
The four-day Space Symposium, held each spring at The Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, Colo., requires more than 300 volunteers, who may work from as little as four hours to as much as several months gearing up for this event.
Please visit SpaceSymposium.org for details about the upcoming Space Symposium.
Volunteers who work a minimum of four hours at the Space Symposium receive:
- Pass to a panel or featured speaker session
- Exhibit Center entry
- Use of the volunteer lounge for breaks and meals
- Volunteer gift
- Opportunity to participate in the premier gathering of the global space community
We have a number of projects that require ongoing support with varying levels of time commitment ranging from just a few hours a month to weekly assignments. Projects include:
Support our mission at offsite festivals, conferences and educational enterprises by representing, networking and doing outreach with other organizations investing in space.
Supporting student groups, as well as public visitors of all ages in the many areas of the Discovery Center during both the normal day time hours, as well as evening and weekend events
Skill requirements and time commitments vary by project.
Benefits of Volunteering
By volunteering, you can:
- Have a positive impact on the exploration of space and the global benefits space provides
- Enhance your knowledge of space sectors, programs and organizations
- Integrate volunteering with your education, professional training or career advancement
- Meet and work with influential space leaders
- Earn recognition throughout the year with various incentives
Requirements to Volunteer
To volunteer with the Space Foundation, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old (younger? see Junior Docent Program!)
- Dress appropriately, in accordance with your particular job or activity
- Communicate clearly with the Space Foundation about your expectations - we are happy to be flexible with your schedule if you communicate with us
- Provide two or more references if you have not volunteered with us before
- Understand that the Volunteer Manager will evaluate your skills and preferences in order to place you in the best role
- Background check completed (we supply the link and information)
- Abuse Prevention Systems Online Training completed (we supply training)
There may be additional requirements based on a particular job or activity.